Everybody has a dark secret that she/he want to hide from the rest of the world. Some of these secret could be in your computer. By keeping a lock screen password you secure it at one level. But times may come when you should hand over your system to someone else for certain time period.
During those times not each and every files in our computer should be visible to everybody, thus password protecting a folder by using password and hiding it should help. Fortunately, you can create a password protected separate folder in Windows 10 that contains your essential files. Here’s how to password protect the folder in Windows 10.
Steps To Password Protect A Folder in Windows 10.
There are two methods to password protect a folder in windows 10.
Method 1: Creating Batch Scripts
Method 2: ZIP locking Folder
Password protecting a folder with a Batch File.
Notes: Before following the given steps we request you to backup your data. Also, don’t use a password with a space, it might create issue with batch file.
- Create a Folder.
- Open the Folder and right click inside the folder and select “New>Text Document” from the contextual menu.
- Open the text document that you have created and paste the following code in the blank document.
- In the code section find if NOT %pass%==Enter-Your-Password goto FAIL line. Replace “Enter-Your-Password” with your own password
- Click on file and select the “Save As“option.
- Change the file type to All Filesand change the name of the file to anything you prefer with .bat extension at the end of the name and save it.
- Newly created Batch file will be seen.
- Open the Batch File by double clicking on it. New folder with the name Locker will be created.
- Store all he files in the Locker folder to protect it.
- Now, launch the Batch file and type Y, the folder will disappear.
- To unlock the folder, launch the batch file again and enter the password that you have previously assigned.
- The locker folder will appear again.
Password Protecting a Folder by ZIP locking Folder
- Download and install 7-ZIP on your PC.
- Open 7-ZIP.
- Locate and select the folder that you want to lock and click on + icon.
- Enter the password for encryption and click on “OK”.
- New encrypted and compressed file will be created. Then, the original folder needs to be deleted.
- To access the encrypted folder, extract the ZIP file and it will ask for the password before extracting.
ALSO READ: Create a Shutdown Icon on Windows 10.